Friday, August 27, 2010

Learning Every Day

By: Colleen Rothner
Alpha Gamma Delta has been such a great blessing in my life. And after a semester of learning, I knew that it was time that we got to take over and start doing on our own. But what I didn’t realize is that we will never know everything there is to know. So even though we are on our own, I am finding that I learn new things about Alpha Gamma Delta every day. Some days its simple things, but in this past two weeks there have been two things that have really stood out to me, and I would like to let other people know too.
1. Camp Alpha Gamma Delta, I always knew that Alpha Gamma Delta supported children with diabetes by raising money throughout the school year. But what I just found out is that many girls volunteer throughout the summer at different summer camps that are for kids living with diabetes. The camps teach the kids both the importance of learning about living with the disease and things they can do, but also the importance of letting them know they are just normal kids. Summertime and camp have always been fond childhood memories for me. So the fact that Alpha Gamma Delta supports kids going to summer camp, made me even more excited about the sorority that I already love. (and I am looking forward to next summer, and maybe that I could hopefully help out)
2. SIS grants, Having sisters who are close and I know that I can count on is great and that is what drew me to a sorority in the first place. But what I didn’t know was about SIS grants and how they are here to help. SIS grants are funded through the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation, and it is a grant that can be given to any Alpha Gamma Delta, in any walk of life. Grants can be given to women for anything ranging from helping girls be able to go to grad school to a woman who have recently lost their jobs and might need help getting back on their feet. Regardless of the reason it is great to know that Alpha Gamma Delta is always there to help.

With a new school year ahead, it is great to know there is more to learn, and I am looking forward to every bit of it. Alpha Gamma Delta has been a great edition to my life. And I am excited for the many new things that will happen this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment