Thursday, April 15, 2010

Why I joined AGD

Alpha Gamma Delta Recruitment: Third Time’s a Charm!

Being in a sorority is something I’ve always known I’ve wanted to do. It’s even written in the autobiography I wrote in 6th grade. My cousin was a Delta Gamma at ASU and seeing her experiences just made me WAY too excited to have my own. So in the Fall I went through Formal Recruitment. Unfortunately for me, I went in less than open minded. I knew what my top and bottom houses were before I even entered my first party. The conversations were awkward, and each one seemed to lower my self esteem more and more. Day after day I would be disappointed with my party schedule for the day, and ended up dropping Recruitment the morning of Preference Night. I was physically ill from being so exhausted, I went home for an entire week. But even though I sunk into that depression over my semester not going as planned, I vowed to not give up, even if it meant going through Fall Recruitment again next year.
So Spring semester rolls around and so does Informal Recruitment. Once again, I went into it slightly closed-minded, but this time it was justified, as I had rightfully learned the logistics of each house, and knew which ones weren’t right for me. However, when I walked into the walkaround in the Memorial Union, and saw how many girls were squeezed into that tiny room, I knew this wasn’t going to work out for me either. I’m not one of those girls who fights for attention, I never have been. But I DID get the chance to speak to Rula Andriessen at the walkaround, and she put the idea of Alpha Gam in my head. So when I didn’t get the phone call I was waiting for at the end of the week, I knew I had to give Alpha Gam a try.
Alpha Gamma Delta’s informal recruitment gave me a ray of hope for the recruiting process, since nearly all of my experiences had been disappointing. As soon as I walked into my infoview with Wendy, I knew this was the house for me. The women are completely inspirational, enthusiastic, and welcoming. I couldn’t be more proud to identify myself as one of them. I know we’re going to do great things as a chapter! So far this experience has been far more than rewarding and I’m looking towards the future. Arizona State Greek Life doesn’t know what hit them quite yet, but we are definitely a force to be reckoned with!

By: Ryann Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment